Custom Search

Say J for J.............. and not H.. please

I still distinctly remember the first time when we learnt that we were going to have twins... Our family world was filled with joy, excitement, anticipation, worries and what not.. We started to get ready to welcome our double blessings into this world. Along with the usual preparations, came the very interesting part....choosing the names... Now we needed to have two boys and two girls names ready. Just like any other new parents, me and my husband spent hours discussing names. We must have probably gone through several hundreds names . Our criteria were very simple... names with the good solid meaning and aspiration. We very well knew that our babies will be Global Citizens born and raised in US . We wanted the names to be unique and true to our cultural identity. And above all, the names should be very simple to write and pronounce , we certainly wanted to avoid their names and spellings getting butchered every time they introduced themselves. So when they were born, we named them Rajan and Tejas... it was good to have a common letter but not make it too rhyme. We absolutely love the names. And for us both these names are very easy and straightforward to read, write and pronounce.... In the Hospital, their name tags were put on their cribs and the trend began... a lot of people stopping by, including those caring , loving nurses started to call them Rahan and Tehas...At first, I was ok about explaining them that they are not Rahan and Tehas they are Rajan and Tejas. Say it just like its spelled J for J and not H.... I know in Spanish language, you pronounce J for H e.g. Jose is actually called Hose and so on. Me and my husband have both learnt Spanish language a little. So we know this. But we are not Hispanics.. we don't look like them, talk like them... I have nothing against them.. We do know a lot of wonderfully cultured Hispanic people. Funny thing is that none of them mix H with J... They know these are Indian names and we call J for J and H for H. I do not understand why average American will start saying H for J. Why would you mix English and Spanish on inconsistent basis ? I am used to getting my name butchered every time I introduce myself( presumably unintentionally, I suppose) I absolutely love my name and won't change it for anything. When I was born, my parents weren't world travellers. They chose the unique, meaningful name they liked and I am very thankful to them for giving me my beautiful name. I can understand its harder to pronounce for this side of the world and I am very patient in explaining it. What I don't understand however, is the typical stereotypes and ignorance. By any stretch, Rajan and Tejas are not hard names to pronounce . Keep it plain, simple English-- J for J and not H. In this culturally diverse country, do respect the fact that we are Indians and my boys are Rajan and Tejas . If you don't want your Jack to be Hack, Jill to be Hill and Jim to be Him, then don't make my boys rahan and tehas either.... Peace ! Prajakta

5 comments:

Pranjali said...

Good Job.... & not Hob!!! ;)

Taynya said...

Pranj...... thanks for the originality !

Rajesh Chitnis said...

yeah...well written
we somehow can pronounce properly any name in the world but they cant :(

Nidhi said...

Ohh forget foreigners... even few Indians ruin some names :(

My niece is names PALAK and we thought its a beautiful name... and now we have hanged it cuz most of the people in her school call her PAALAK and everytime dta happens she comes home crying :(

I really wish people work on der pronounciations :(

Taynya said...

Rajesh,

I guess we can credit our Sanskrut base for excellent pronounciations

Nidhi,
I have a friend named Palak and she is so fed up with explaining her name too. I think its the ignorance of people.