Custom Search

Charity and Capitalism

American Express recently concluded their Members Project campaign. The whole idea was that the members were requested to submit innovative projects that could make a difference in the world. After several vigorous voting rounds, 5 winning projects were to share 2.5 million dollars. On the surface it certainly looked like a great cause to achieve a positive impact in the world. 2.5 Million sure looked like a large enough sum to make a difference.... And then I started to see a massive PR campaign, ranging from TV commercials to pop ups to billboards promoting the idea.. all those commercials with who's who of the celebrities endorsing the project. Now I can see that this is hard-core self-promotion, using $2.5 million from advertising budget to paint itself as a good corporate citizen while spreading its advertising as far as it can. I don't like this type of cheating under name of charity. I am one of those high EQ people with very sensitive tear ducts. So every time I see someone suffering , I want to help. And with best of my abilities I do try to help. I do believe that I am fortunate enough to be born in decent well-to do family with well educated and utmost caring parents. Having a solid start in life is increasingly becoming an integral part of success end game. Sadly, I am starting to realize that the social class one is born into largely determines how successful they will be in life. Admittedly there are quite a few examples where people have broken through the barriers by hard work, efforts and determination but largely our plutocracy society has tried to keep the classes in tact under the name of the welfare.... With ever increasing calamities, disasters and crisis the entire world certainly needs help. I know there are hundred and thousands of people that want make a difference. But purely as a gratitude and without a grandeur! Thankful for whatever we have and trying to help the have- nots. And I am proud to be one of them. I am looking for ways to make a positive impact that touches the lives of people in a significant way, maybe on a very small scale . But my feelings are real and genuine. Anyway the whole thing came about because of AmEx charity/Advertising campaign. And more and more I am looking at this, I am feeling frustration about some of these very well funded charities. Besides I absolutely don't like the way they try to make you feel guilty about not giving every time. I think the focus is more on fund raising than actually helping. Every year American Cancer Society gets over Billion dollars in funding yet they are yet to find cure for cancer. I am sad to see that one of my favourite charity Red Cross spends over 47 % of their money on administration costs including salaries. And AmEx spent millions of dollars advertising budget to promote 2.5 mil in giving to paint itself a nobel corporate citizen. Recently we were invited to a big Gala dinner to raise money to feed the hungry children of developing nations. How strange... only after wasting so much food and with full bellies we can help these hungry children.. All those fortunate, rich and famous attendees don't need to feast on another lavish meal in name of helping starving kids.... Very Ironic ! Charity should be sacrifice. It shouldn't be a calculated expectation in expense of any worthy cause. That's where it clashes with the capitalist nature of human being. We are all so focused on acquiring material wealth,comfort, fame and name. There is nothing wrong with that. But I know I am sensitive enough to help make a difference and truly give hope to those where hope does not exist. One person-one cause at a time.. that's my contribution with genuine scrifice! Let's call that compassionate capitalism !!