Custom Search

My take on Self-improvement

Ever since somebody invented spam on internet, inbox cluttered with forwarded messages of various kinds has become sort of daily ritual for almost all of us. There is one thing to get information and there is another to get overloaded with information. I am not sure when the line crosses between the two. Some send me jokes, some good quotes and some information of every possible kind...But everyday, as I open up my e-mail and check and delete big portions of these forwarded messages I am sort of frustrated. Not today....Today was different …blame it on lousy weather day ;) Today I decided to actually read a few… ( now please don’t raise a eyebrow thinking that I have nothing better to do. I really do..… and BTW, I do see those pouting faces, smug expressions towards this stay at home mom trying to kill time reading forwarded messages… ouch… its OK I get it) Anyway getting back to my story…A lot of times we want to read these inspiring messages. But mainly they are worth a glance and delete…But today whatever I got through was a cornucopia of information. After I got through a few, it seriously caught my attention. Sure these inspiring messages do make you feel good for a while and then we forget all about it. But what if we really decide to act on these in real life? Will it make everyone’s life better? Will it make us more happy and content? Sure we can compare ourselves to a given situation …personality quiz kind of… we can evaluate our behavior against the best possible behavior under given circumstances. And maybe.. just maybe try to implement some of those traits to become better individual… what’s wrong in that? I am not sure there exists an ideal character. All of us are bound to have those doh moments where we think we could be better. That where the process of self evaluation comes into play. One can just analyze oneself, try to figure out what could be better and figure out ways to improve upon those.. a continuous self improvement process that can make us better…( possibly better at everything ) I have reputedly heard that personal characteristic traits don’t change. As you grow up character is not easily impressionable either. I am not sure I totally agree with that. I do believe that if we start to change our thinking pattern positively, it is possible to change our behavior patterns positively too. Regardless of the age and circumstances. Powerful thoughts bring lasting impressions on the behavior. After all, all grown ups at least want to be best role models for their children. So it’s tough but doable to be roll model after all….(…….now I see…..doh again….) As one of my forwarded MESSAGE goes, “In my mind I'm the one so I'm shining like the sun"

4 comments:

Elisha Hanson said...

Very well written posts. I love reading your blog. Keep it up..

splashingwaves said...

Hi P - well written..

Do you think self improvement is a one way process though?
Actions of others around us ( our kids for example) have tremendous power to positively influence our behavior..there are be people that bring out the worst in us, that's when the character is really tested...

Taynya said...

Hi splashingwaves,

Thanks for visiting my blog and comment. To a great extent, I do believe self improvement is a one way process. Sure environmental factors are influential. But how effectively one tackles these challenges defines our character more than anything else. Individual responses may be different in any given situation but if we are satisfied on the outcome on the consistent basis, we are doing well.

splashingwaves said...

Hey - This is Sunetra posting here under this name
Just liked the sound of this...Splashingwaves!!!

Just wondering ..pondering ... that how can we be sure that we have improved if only we are happy with the outcome..should there be a validation outside of oneself...

maybe consistency is key as you said...

PS- I like this...writing one's thoughts makes one articulate those a bit better..