Custom Search

My Thoughts on Octuplets

The last few weeks this story has been lurking around in my mind. I have been reading in bits and pieces about the birth and related stories of the mother giving birth to octuplets. I am a mother. A mother of twins who survived an ordeal of complicated pregnancy and premature delivery. I know how hard it was to see my tiny twins fight for survival in early days of their life in NICU. And now as me and my husband are raising these toddlers, our constant struggle to give them as much love, attention and care as any other singleton child would normally get. Deep down in my mind that guilty feeling bothers me and nothing will make up for that. To me, how you raise your children is more important than just having them. Children are your blessings but also your responsibility of the highest order. All these feelings came to surface again when I read about the mother giving birth to octuplets. What was she thinking? If at all she was thinking? How can you be so selfish to have such high number of multiples just to make up for your troubled childhood and loneliness? I read that she already has six children before this. If she really wanted to have a huge-large family, why didn’t you think of adopting? There are thousands and thousands of orphans who could use loving and caring home. Was it necessary to put her and her babies’ health to risk? Research proves that more premature the babies are born, the greater risks they have of facing significant lifelong problems .Why did this mother put these babies through this ordeal? And who’s paying for the NICU and related costs? I know how terribly expensive it is for single NICU stay and in this case we are talking about 8 babies for several months. She’s going to be a welfare mom and really how can she make sure she can provide financially for the 14 children she's responsible for? As much as I would hate lawmakers and governments to decide how many children one should have, these types of irresponsible behaviors make me wonder if indeed law should ban giving birth to such high order of multiples. I can understand using reproductive technology for someone desperately trying to create a normal family, but why would someone who already has 6 children go through that? This controversial decision is anything but a heroic case and the mother should be condemned to the highest possible extent. PS: To all my blog readers, for this post, your comments are most welcome. I know its controversial topic and you may have differing opinion. Just go ahead and share…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, she did all this for Publicity!

Anonymous said...

I think six was too much to start. Population is exploding all over the world and fools like this make things worse..Six was too much to begin with for a single mom now who's going to take care of all 14 ?Sad to see medical technology misused