Custom Search

My Musings

Slumdog Millionaire…..if someone thinks I am adding my two cents to millions and millions bites that has been attributed to this film, you guessed it wrong…there is not much to add about the movie from my side… What I am trying to pin down is my exact feelings about such rag to riches stories glorifying extreme poverty in developing countries. Poverty makes me sad no doubt but I have lived good years my life side by side with it… Growing up in India, there is no escaping these scenes of sad plight of human life… slums and posh locals almost live hand in hand in urban India and people mostly have accepted that … What makes me wonder is…. Why the western world is so much intrigued by the poverty in Asian and African continents….It almost makes me furious when I read that throngs of visitors are lining up to see the slum world of Dharavi… that’s to me is sick…poverty and slums are all over the world .. those who are so curious to see human sufferings ;why don’t you venture out in the welfare projects and public housing neighborhoods of your own city?… If you care so much about the poor people why don’t you help the one in your own locality? I guess most of these crazy curious visitors won’t dare to put out feet in such neighborhoods (popularly called hoods, ghettos and barrios of the west) why would you then glorify the slums in Asia and Africa? In US and Europe poverty is like a taboo.. Behind the glitz and glamor of all big cities lies the sad fact of slums. Every town has its share of not so fortunate folks but western world has done excellent job of masking it. In US and Europe such poor people get congregated in different neighborhood almost like a social outcast… whereas in Indian subcontinent it exists hand in hand all over…that’s the difference. You will need to make a special trip to see these areas in US and Europe otherwise you will be fooled to believe that it’s a land of riches only…. Now that I have observed both these continents for a good amount of time, all these emotions came to surface after watching Slumdog Millionaire….Asian poverty is intriguing because it can win accolades of fame and fortunes for westerners… and that why this years Oscar winner movie is disappointing… for that matter, if I recall correctly, it’s the same rhetoric last few years… disappointing Oscar winners.. Then again why do I need to watch Oscar movies as the ultimate? I remember how stupid it was to see last summer Olympics when NBC made it seem like All American sports extravaganza… funny how the world of propaganda publicity works!! Thank god I have internet and thank god we have Google….. I can keep myself informed, entertained and educated the way I feel right ………...free, independent and unbiased …………. Peace!

No comments: