Custom Search

In which language do you think when you speak

My routine trip to the office supply store this morning .. me multi tasking in my business casual clothes roaming the isles , buying stuff while talking with someone on the phone.. nothing exciting so far... no I was not loud or obnoxious.. I never am ;)... There is hardly anyone in this big store....after about five mins I notice a middle age lady well dressed in business suite doing her shopping sort of around the area where I was... the noise of her high heel pumps is slightly annoying ....I may have glanced and light smiled at her .. not exactly remember since I was so busy discussing /solving world problems over the phone..

After another 5-10 mins, I am on my way to cashier's lane... Only one open lane and a person in front of me has problem with price or something...( Murphy's law..always ) Anyway... so I am patiently waiting for them to get the resolution and I see this lady come stand behind me... She said hi and I said hi back... ( maybe vice verse... still not paying to much attention to her) .. and here's how the conversation went after that...

Lady : "Excuse me,but I briefly heard you talk .. you speak very good English "

Hmm...within a flash of second, few thoughts crossed my mind.. Honestly, I don't consider it a complement anymore.... Then I checked and made sure my wedding rock was clearly visible on my finger ( hey, these days you never know when total strangers start praising you ) .. Second thought was probably what was I talking on phone ( no breach of privacy for anyone) .. Third of course was annoyance that this unknown woman had no business listening to me ... and I am sure few more flash thoughts along those lines.. Slightly irritated I just glance back at her and she continuse.

Lady : " you look Indian .. I am always curious what language you people think when you speak .. is it your native language or straight English ? "

By this time, I was greeted by cashier... I turn back and with a straight face I said " neither.. I don't know... maybe in polish " ..

I seriously had no intention of pranking her or anything but I was purely annoyed at her now...  I just wanted to get out and maybe a quick joke to lighten her up along the way.... I am swiping my card at this point so I am almost done.. and I hear her one last time in the back,

Lady : " Oh really, my best friend is Polish too... But sorry you don't look Polish ... are you married to one? "

With a BIG awe and smile on my face I just nodded and walked away... wish I had friend along for a good hard laugh....

No comments: